nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] preventing a root-owned .nano dir

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] preventing a root-owned .nano dir
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 17:37:43 +0100

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015, at 19:40, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> [When the first run of nano on a newly installed system is]
> under sudo, and [/etc/nanorc or] .nanorc contains
> 'set historylog' or 'set poslog', nano will create a .nano
> directory in the user's home directory that is root-owned.
> It has happened to me once; it is annoying.
>
> Proposed patch (attached) fixes this: when nano detects it
> is being run as root, it will ignore $HOME and get the home
> directory from the /etc/passwd file (which will normally
> contain /root as the home dir for root).

After a long wait, and as it seems Ubuntu is not doing anything
about this [1], the patch has finally gone into SVN, r5580.

(The trigger was another, similar bug: [2].  But... I must say
it amazes me how unresponsive these bug reporters are.)

[1]  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nano/+bug/1471459
[2]  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nano/+bug/1535478

Benno

--