nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: limiting the amount of position history

From: David Niklas
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: limiting the amount of position history
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 21:26:37 -0500

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 13:27:45 Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > It's a good idea, most editors implement a recently used list of
> > sorts, but IMHO, it's hard to get right.
>
> Well, looks pretty easy to me.

I should have better defined that statement.
When I read, edit, etc. files I tend to have several open, we are talking
10 source files at a time that I have open including header files to get
the info I need to write the functions I'm working on.
I also tend to open several more to implement as it were, a C quick test
bed, to see how different things work. I save these so that way I just
have to look them up in order to see the results of the last test if I
forget or am dealing with a different libc, compiler, version of the
library, etc (Someday I might turn these into unit tests for the devs of
the said libraries, but for now I'm just sitting on them).

I also read the txt rfcs and other text docs which I like to save my
position on so that I know where I'm at, esp. if that position is EOF.
I do the same with okular the pdf reader.

So, I find that a list of 10 or so files is too small for me and they
tend to list the most recently visited files instead of the files that
your working on vs. the ones you opened up as docs which just clutter
your r. history. Such as the /usr/share/doc/*/{README*,FAQ,NEWS} files.

> > even add an option maybe.
>
> No, please, not another option!  :)

For the reasons stated above, I requested an option in the nanorc file. I
still think it would be a good idea, I don't know what you want, but you
may do as you see fit, it's not my editor, I'm just a nano power crazed
Luser :)

Thanks, David