nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] how Alt+6 should behave

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] how Alt+6 should behave
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 21:24:54 +0100

Hello Rishabh,

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 18:55, Rishabh Dave wrote:
> Code in patch I sent -
>
> +>  if.(!copy_text)
> +>  ....openfile->current.=.openfile->filebot;
>
> Code in patch you sent -
>
> +....if.(put_cursor)
> +>  openfile->current.=.openfile->filebot;
>
> Could you please point me to the mistake

You see, you have a tab (represented by a >) before the if,
and I have four spaces.  And before the openfile you have
a tab plus four spaces, and I just a tab.  Nano's code
assumes a tab size of eight (yes, sorry, but that's how it
is).  So your fragment is indented too much by four positions.

> About progress in patch,
>
> I achieved the effect - cursor doesn't move while selecting and copying
> text - for all movements while selecting text i.e. up, down, left and
> right. However, they are little unstable.

What do you mean with unstable?  That it crashes now and then?

> Also highlighting text while
> selecting the effect is remaining (I have figured where is that under our
> source code) and --cut and --wrap are unstable; it will take some time. I
> wanted to send a patch to confirm things are what we want but I keep
> repeating that whitespace-mistake.

Well, for just judging whether the behaviour is the intended one,
the whitespace doesn't matter.  But you wanted me to comment
immediately.

> About changes in code,
>
> I added mark_end and mark_end_x (like mark_begin and mark_begin_x) in
> 'openfilestruct' to allow cursor to remain at place by relieving current
> and current_x as another mark (bottom mark while forward selection and top
> mark while backward selection) while selecting text. This is leading to
> duplication of code with slight change to move mark_end instead of current.
> Is that okay?

Don't know.  Would need to see the code.

> Could we build nano under it's svn directory? It doesn't naturally due to
> lack of 'Makefile.in',

Well, did you read README.SVN?  It tells you to first run ./autogen.sh.
(You may need to install some autoconf and automake stuff, listed at
the beginning of the file.)  That will create the needed .in files.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
                          love email again