nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] begin using gnulib?

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] begin using gnulib?
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 16:56:23 -0500

On 04 Feb 2016 20:52, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016, at 00:13, Kamil Dudka wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 03, 2016 13:00:20 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > nano has grown a lot of custom checks & fallback logic.  at what point
> > > do we bite the bullet for sanity and switch to gnulib ?  is that now ?
> >
> > I like the idea of starting to use gnulib now.  In my view, it does not
> > have to be all-or-nothing switch.  We can start with futimens being the
> > only (directly) imported module of gnulib and import the other modules
> > later as needed.
>
> That's fine by me.  When people provide the patches.

i'll give it a try.  i've integrated gnulib into a bunch of projects
at this point.

> But what does this mean for support on other platforms?
> I suppose gnulib is also available on the BSDs.  But on
> Windows?

yep, gnulib supports all the BSDs and Windows and more :)

> And then: how much bigger is nano going to become
> because of using modules from gnulib?  Surely some
> of those modules will contain functions that nano won't
> use.  Are they still compiled into the binary?

source wise, it'll get bigger for sure.  compiled code wise, it
should have little to no impact.  gnulib adds a lot of configure
tests to detect when its modules should be used, including doing
known bug detection.
-mike