nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] the compiled size of nano

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] the compiled size of nano
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 11:29:31 +0100

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016, at 21:52, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> On my old system, the version that uses gnulib definitely
> feels slower at startup.  I will instrument some timing.

It was pure imagination -- it makes no difference.  If there
is any difference, it's in the one to two percent range.  The
user can achieve much bigger wins by not including all of the
syntaxes but only the ones that are actually used sometimes.
And by compiling with --disable-libmagic.

Hmm...  Maybe we need a run-time option too, --nomagic,
'set nomagic'?  To be able to avoid a terribly slow startup
when a file doesn't match any syntax by extension nor by
header line?

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Same, same, but different...