nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Comment/Uncomment feature patch

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Comment/Uncomment feature patch
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 12:48:28 +0200

Thanks.  It's looking pretty good now.  I changed some comments,
rearranged some stuff, and added the texinfo documentation.  See
attached patch.  I've also removed some superfluous asserts --
there are just one or two calls of these functions, if we can't get
/those/ right...  :)

Oh, the comment sequence for a man page contained a question
mark.  But... the sequence isn't a regex, so I have removed it.

On Sun, May 8, 2016, at 19:40, Mike Scalora wrote:
> I ironed out all the enable/disable dependency issues. In the end I
> decided that allowing --enable-comment with --enable-tiny was not
> worth the extra complexity it would need.

Okay.

> In order to run a lot of configuration tests I wrote a bash tool that
> runs 72 combinations of options (some expected error cases) [...]

There is a nano-regress script in git that does something similar.

> I used the branch w/ 'git format-patch master' method to create this
> patch, let me know if that is better/worse or the same.

Slightly better, because then I don't have to remember to use -p0
to apply your patch, instead of the normal -p1 with git patches.  :)

Now... testing the patch...

Run 'src/nano +6 README', then type:
M-3 M-U M-3 M-U M-3 M-U M-3 M-U ...

See how the cursor slowly creeps forward.
The opposite happens when after an M-3 you type
M-4 M-U M-4 M-U M-4 M-U M-4 M-U ...

This shouldn't happen.  After an undo, the cursor should be
back where it was before the do.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Accessible with your email software