nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Comment/Uncomment feature patch

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Comment/Uncomment feature patch
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 21:15:59 +0200

On Thu, May 19, 2016, at 19:08, Mike Scalora wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 5:47 AM, Benno Schulenberg
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > What is it that tiny disables that you need in order to make the
> > comment/uncomment feature work?
>
> It could be done, but without being able to mark multiple lines it is
> of marginal value and the number of additional preprocessor directives
> to work around the missing mark and undo symbols would make a mess of
> the implementation.

Aaah.  Tiny cannot mark anything.  Okay.

> When I started down that path I thought to myself,
> "Self, when Benno sees this mess he's going hate it. I better never
> let him see this or he's going to flush the whole feature for sure."

:)

But you can easily do without colors (that is: syntaxes); it will
cost one #ifndef.

> > So... I would like to be able
> > to configure like this:
> >
> >   ./configure --enable-tiny --enable-comment
>
> It almost sounds like you have come to appreciate the feature a little
> bit.

Correct.  :)  You should see how often I do:

  // <Down> // <Down> //  ^S ^X  make <Enter>

> I had the impression you were barley tolerating the whole idea.

Not so much the feature, but the mass of code.  I like features that
cost ten or twenty, or maybe thirty lines to make.  Not a smothering
*two hundred and seventy*.  :|

But now that I think about it: what would be really cool is if we
could bind this feature to a single key instead of to two: when all
the marked lines are commented, then they are uncommented;
otherwise, they are commented.  (Because it doesn't make sense,
other than for decoration purposes,  to comment a bunch of lines
when all of them are already commented.)  That would save us a
precious key that we might want for something else.  And would
make the key easier to remember, and easy to undo if you didn't
want to comment or uncomment.

How hard would it be to make that?  Or don't you agree that
this is a desirable behavior?

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an