nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] solving a history bug in nano [patch]

From: Tito
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] solving a history bug in nano [patch]
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 15:01:20 +0200

On 05/29/2016 12:00 PM, Benno Schulenberg wrote:

Hello Tito,

Six years ago you reported a crash of nano on the Armel platform
when searching for any string.  You supplied a patch that fixed
the crash for you [1] [2], and it was applied.

However, the patch causes nano to lose history items, as I found
out yesterday: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?48048.

So I intend to revert the patch, because the original code is correct.
Could you test this patch with a modern nano (2.5.3 or git) and see if
it now works on Armel?  (Possibly other changes in the code prevent
the crash now.)  If it still crashes, could it be that strncmp is not
implemented correctly on Armel?

Regards,

Benno

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2009-12/msg00015.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2009-12/txtktzBOUlxcH.txt

Hi,
it will be hard to test it for me because I have to revive one of my
2 old nokia n900 find the maemo sdk virtualbox image i used, but i will
try and post to the list if I succeed.
Push the change if you are sure that the previous code is correct,
on the other hand i would dare to say that if nobody complained in over
seven years maybe it is the case to remove the find history feature
completely as it is not used?  ;-)

Ciao,
Tito