nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] should Verbatim Input do what it says or what it does?

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] should Verbatim Input do what it says or what it does?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 13:00:36 -0500

Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Currently, when using Verbatim Input (M-V) for inserting keystrokes
> undecoded into the text buffer, what happens is that nano will take
> *all* keystrokes in the input buffer and insert them verbatim into the
> text.

The reason I originally implemented it this way is because of timing
issues when dealing with escape sequences (which can be of arbitrary
length, and can overlap between different terminal types, which is why
that section in winio.c is so heavily commented and strewn with
hardcoded values).  And using verbatim input to see what escape
sequences keys generate (if ncurses keystroke mapping isn't working) is
useful sometimes.

If there's a way around the escape sequence stuff, the behavior should
probably be fixed to insert only one keystroke.  However, the original
behavior of reading all keystrokes could be moved elsewhere, as it might
be useful for implementing blacketed paste mode, which someone else
already opened a bug for:

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40060