nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: should nano stay alive on anorexic terminals?

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: should nano stay alive on anorexic terminals?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 22:22:09 +0200

El dv 08 de 07 de 2016 a les 14:01 +0200, en/na Benno Schulenberg va
escriure:
> I'd never noticed, because for some reason Gnome-Terminal cannot be
> made narrower than 19 columns, but when a virtual terminal becomes
> narrower than four columns, nano crashes -- it dies deliberately,
> possibly leaving an annoying .save and .swp fille lying around.
>
> Other console editors don't die when the terminal gets very narrow:
> Vim and Emacs and joe all stay alive.  Vim and joe continue
> outputting
> to the screen always; Emacs stops doing that when the terminal is
> narrower than six columns.
>
> What should nano do?

What emacs does seems sensible, but possibly for less columns. Anything
but dying like that, I guess? Of course if the terminal has no
indication of a file being edited with nano, that might not be so great
either.

address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/