nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] multi-character escape sequences

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] multi-character escape sequences
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 16:54:32 +0200

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016, at 00:47, David Ramsey wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Benno Schulenberg
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Luckily, by default Alt+O is bound to something that the user will
> > seldom or never use -- they either set morespace in their ./nanorc
> > or don't use it at all.  I can't see anyone toggling it now and then,
> > and if they do, they probably wait to see the result.  So the risk of
> > that keystroke ever being misinterpreted due to succeeding keystrokes
> > is virtually nil.  (Famous last words.)
>
> True.  Maybe the same could be said for Alt+X for expert mode, as well?
> Once the user's learned the keystrokes well enough, they will rarely toggle
> it.

Probably, yes.  But it is slightly different.  When you've toggled morespace
on (or set in a nanorc), you gain nothing by toggling it off -- you instead
lose a bit.  But when you've toggled the help lines off (or have switched
them off in a nanorc), you gain something by toggling them back on: you get
to see what the keystroke for spell checking is, for example.

But true, if the user doesn't remember the basic keystrokes, they more
than likely don't know how to toggle the help lines either.  And the other
way around too.

But anyway, Alt+X causes no problems with escape sequences.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free