nano-devel

[Nano-devel] RFC: replacing with a start-of-line anchor

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] RFC: replacing with a start-of-line anchor
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:48:06 +0200

Hi,

For enlightenment, run 'src/nano +1 README' and type:
M-R  M-R  ^  <Space>  <Enter>  <Enter>  A

See how nano removes /all/ the leading spaces.  Vim and
Emacs and Geany don't behave that way.  (An older Geany
did.)  Also, asking to replace " $", always removes just
one trailing space, not all of them.  And if I wanted
to replace all leading spaces, I would specify "^ *".

So I think this definitely is a bug.  But... is it okay
to change nano's behavior after such a long time?

Bug is present since nano- 2.2.1 (or a bit earlier).
Version 1.3.2 works as expected, replacing always
just the one first space.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - mmm... Fastmail...