nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Kernel panic on Ubuntu 1610 with NFS - nano specific

From: Darren Austin
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Kernel panic on Ubuntu 1610 with NFS - nano specific
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 14:08:09 +0100

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Okay.  You could try installing another recent distro on your
> Mac, and see if it panics too in this situation.  Manjaro might
> be nice, because it lets you choose different kernel versions.

Yeah, that's not going to happen! :)  Not after the time it's taken to get
this set up the way I want it...

But, I did try some of the vanilla kernels that are packaged for
debian/ubuntu - it's the entire 4.8 series that has this bug; versions below
that don't seem to be affected.

I can't see this being Ubuntu specific if the vanilla kernels still cause an
oops.  It's got to be a change in the kernel between 4.7.x and 4.8.0.

> You will have to ask or google around to find out how to
> debug or close in on the cause of a kernel panic.

Well, debugging kernel panics is beyond my skill set, so i'm going to have
to leave that up to others.

To that end, i've reported this bug to the linux-kernel mailing list -
though it hasn't recieved any response as yet.

I'll continue to chase it with the kernel developers - they *should* be
taking note of a user triggerable DoS bug in the kernel.  I'm not holding my
breath that they're going to listen to a 'newbie' though.

Thanks for help :)

Darren.