nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] adding a word-completion feature to nano

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] adding a word-completion feature to nano
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 20:51:03 +0200

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 18:54, Sumedh Pendurkar wrote:
> example if the words in file starting with "f" are "file" "folder" and
> "file" and we ^] at "f", it should display "file", "folder", "f" and then
> continue the cycle.(please correct if I interpreted it wrong)

Precisely.

> It is just used as iterator and means really nothing. So shall I replace it
> by "tmp" or something?

No.  Use instead my version of the patch to continue your work

> On 19 October 2016 at 19:40, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden>
> > Also, at a later stage, proper markers for undo() should be
> > inserted, so the completion can be undone.
>
> I am sorry. I didn't grasp what you said(I mean the solution you suggested).

(I hadn't thought about what had to be done, so my wording in
the previous email was vague and even mistaken.)

What I meant is: run 'src/nano +7 NEWS' with my version of the
patch.  Then type: port ^] ^] ^] ^] ^].  Now type M-U (which
means: undo), and retype that slowly, and see how each time
the completion is removed and then the previous completion
readded, and so on, until the first completion is removed and
then "port" itself is removed.  What I expect to happen when
I type M-U after having typed ^] for a few times, is: that the
completion disappears (as it does now), and then a second M-U
should remove "port" -- the undo system should not retain any
memory of all the tried possibilities.  So each strike of ^]
that is not the first in a series, should probably pop the top
two items off the undo stack (or just one item if you use a
memmove instead of backspaces).

> > +    blank_statusbar();
> > +    wnoutrefresh(bottomwin);
>
> I have done this because once user cycles through the list at the end of
> it. The message is displayed. And if user hits ^] once again the message
> does not vanish.

Ah, okay, I see.  I use --quickblank, so I didn't notice that.

> I think I can just add a condition when to do that rather
> than doing it every time.

Better, yes.

(Please stop sending HTML mail; use plain text instead.)

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - A fast, anti-spam email service.