nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: line numbers?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: line numbers?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 10:36:56 +0200

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016, at 21:40, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> I think it makes sense
> to optimize the layout for at least 99/999 lines by default.

It's not so much a matter of optimizing the layout but of
not distracting the user with a display change when the
number of lines increases from below ten to over ten.

(I would make it so that nano reserves at least two
positions for the line number, even when there are
less than ten lines.  I would not reserve three like
vim does, because I think it would be kind of nice to
be able to see from the width of the linenumber column
whether a file is shorter or longer than a hundred lines.
(No, I seldom look at the statusbar when a file is loaded.))

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an
                          unladen european swallow