nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] the sample nanorc file among the docs

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] the sample nanorc file among the docs
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 13:08:21 +0200

El dg 23 de 10 de 2016 a les 12:18 +0200, en/na Benno Schulenberg va
escriure:
> Hello Jordi,
>
> Currently, in 'man 5 nanorc' it says this:
>
> SEE ALSO
>        nano(1)
>
>        /usr/share/doc/nano/examples/nanorc.sample  (or equivalent on
> your system)
>
> On my Ubuntu box that sample file exists (well, it is gzipped,
> but okay).  But on my Manjaro box there is no such sample file,
> not anywhere in the filesystem.
>
> This file seems to be Debian specific -- in the rules of the
> Debian package for nano there is this:
>
>       mkdir -p $(CURDIR)/debian/nano/usr/share/doc/nano/examples
>       cp $(nanobuild)/doc/nanorc.sample \
>         $(CURDIR)/debian/nano/usr/share/doc/nano/examples

Indeed, that sentence was written having Debian in mind, I never
thought of that when upstreaming it.

> Now the question is: should I remove the above mention from
> the nanorc.5 man page?  (But that would mean that you would
> have to patch it back in.) Or should I add nanorc.sample in
> Makefile.am to the files that get installed by default into
> /usr/share/doc/nano/?
>
> I am tending toward the latter option.  Although one might argue
> that the existence of /etc/nanorc itself is sample enough.

I tend towards the former. I find it ackward that packages install such
random docs, or I'm not used to it. Ie I don't expect make install to
do anything about the README, etc., just about info, man, sphinx and
the like. I'd remove it, Debian users know where to look for nano docs
in general.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Jordi
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/