nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Kernel panic on Ubuntu 1610 with NFS - nano specific

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Kernel panic on Ubuntu 1610 with NFS - nano specific
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:49:15 -0800

On 16 Oct 2016 06:22, Darren Austin wrote:
>   I seem to have found an unusual bug concerning nano.
>
> I've just upgraded to (a fresh install of) ubuntu 1610 and configured my
> usual NFS access to files on my NAS.  However, each time I use nano under
> these the circumstances below it causes a kernel panic.

there is no valid scenario where a userland tool like nano can cause the
kernel to panic.  if you're seeing the kernel panic, it's a bug in the
kernel, end of story.  you should try a newer kernel and/or report the
issue to your distro.  there's no reasonable thing userland tools (like
nano) should do to try and workaround a buggy kernel.

probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but there it is! :)
-mike