nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] patch: syntax: nix language

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] patch: syntax: nix language
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 20:27:05 +0100

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016, at 21:56, Joachim Schiele wrote:
> On 09.11.2016 19:52, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 9, 2016, at 14:22, Joachim Schiele wrote:
> >> you can use nix on any linux platform.
> >
> > Okay.  Any numbers on how many people actually do that?
> >
> > Also, I can't find that this syntax file has been posted anywhere
> > else -- not on nix-dev at least.  Has it been used and tested by
> > more than one person?
>
> we use it on our servers.

Well, thank you for using nano.  :)

But I don't think this syntax is generally useful.  You see,
in former times users could easily comment out in /etc/nanorc
the syntaxes that they didn't need.  But since version 2.3.3
(commit 3814283) syntaxes are by default included through a
globbing pattern, which makes it much harder to exclude the
ones that a user doesn't need.  So I don't want to add any
syntaxes for files that are unlikely to exist on an average
Unixy system.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Access your email from home and the web