nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: what to do with bug #49423?

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: what to do with bug #49423?
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 14:28:52 -0500

On 23 Oct 2016 20:34, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> When you run 'nano --ignore --multi' and then type:
>   ^R ^X ls <Enter>
> the new buffer is filled with a list of files but it
> is not flagged as Modified.  Strange.  When you leave
> out the --multi, the buffer *is* flagged as Modified.
> I think the latter is correct, and the former wrong.
>
>     https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49423
>
> However, this bug is old (since at least nano-2.2.1),
> so maybe users have come to expect to be able to close
> a buffer-with-command-output without having to say No?
>
> What do you say?  Should it be fixed?  Or left as is?

you've already committed this, but i think your general point here
is useful to cover

i hit edge cases from time to time where nano doesn't behave in a
consistent manner.  by the time my muscle memory has recovered,
i've gotten past where i was stuck, and i can't recreate it.  so
in cases like this, i'd lean towards making it consistent and how
you'd expect it to rather than "it's been this way for a long time
but no one has complained, so maybe people want it".  i'm not sure
people do want it, they just can't recreate enough to file a bug.
-mike