nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] unable to install - nano-2.7.4.tar.gz in solaris 11.3

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] unable to install - nano-2.7.4.tar.gz in solaris 11.3
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 19:37:09 +0100

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 16:41, Roselin John (UK) wrote:
> I downloaded and [tried to install] the latest version of nano-2.7.4
>
> While [building, I] am getting the below error, can someone please help.
> judi-dev-01# make
> make  all-recursive
> Making all in doc
> make  all-recursive
> Making all in m4
> Making all in po
> Making all in src

Hm.  Did you trim the output?  Because normally make is
more verbose.

> make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `update_revision'

"Don't know how to make target"?  You are not using GNU make,
because GNU make doesn't have this string.  Which make are you
using?

I'm guessing your make doesn't understand the .PHONY target.

Please paste the output of: grep -C3 update_revision src/Makefile

When I cut that .PHONY line from my Makefile, then GNU make
will stumble on the same problem as yours.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free