nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Softwrap navigation overhaul

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Softwrap navigation overhaul
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 13:50:32 -0600

>> Maybe a "solution" would be to not use the last column of the screen,
>> so that a double-width character in the penultimate column can
>> "overflow" into this column instead of disappearing?
>>
>> (Problem is related to https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?49440.)
>
> I'll look into this.

After looking a bit, this will not work with the code as-is unless
display_string() gains the capability to overshoot its final column by
one if an unbreakable two-column character is on its final column (so
that, on an 80-column screen, we can call display_string() with a column
width of 79 in update_softwrapped_line() and actually display 80 columns
in that case), which will probably need another parameter to accomplish.

And even then, the placewewant adjustments used in vertical movement
(leftedge_placewewant) become more complicated if we're not using the
last column of the screen; I haven't found a way to make them work
properly under those circumstances yet.

In the meantime, here's version 3f of the overhaul, with your changes to
go_forward_chunks() added.

Additionally, while trying to get the read_file() changes right
yesterday, I noted that read_file() seems to only be used to read into
empty buffers, except for do_insertfile(), but do_insertfile() uses
partition_filestruct() to make the buffer *appear* empty first, so if
I'm reading things right, read_file() could probably be simplified.