nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] softwrap navigation overhaul, now breaking on whitespac

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] softwrap navigation overhaul, now breaking on whitespace
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 15:39:45 -0600

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Benno Schulenberg
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Well... I don't want that to be the default behavior of softwrap. The
> default behavior should be like in vim or emacs: just break the line
> at the edge of the screen, and if a two-column character happens to
> start in the last column, push it to the next row (in vim the last
> column then shows a >, and emacs a second \ ).

Okay.  I can make it display lines the same way as before (breaking on
the screen edge, but without the breakage involving two-column Unicode
characters).  However, even if breaking on whitespace isn't the default
behavior, there should still be some way to enable it.  Do you have any
suggestions in that regard?

> I don't think it needs any explanation.  And I don't want the built-in
> help to get any longer -- I don't think anyone reads it anyway.

Okay.  I'll drop that.

> Yes, not splitting control characters is nice.

Good to know.

> Switch softwrap off when the terminal is narrower than three columns?
> On such a narrow terminal nano is unusable anyway; the only requirement
> is that it doesn't crash and doesn't hang, that it keeps on functioning
> even though you can't see what you're doing.

Okay.  It still hangs if you try to display a two-column Unicode
character on a one-column terminal, since it tries to move back before
it and ends up in the same position as before, at the beginning of the
line.  However, since such characters are unsplittable, I don't know
what to do in that particular case.