nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] GNU nano help

From: David Niklas
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] GNU nano help
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 10:40:23 -0400

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 16:44:09 +0000
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can you please tell me what is the latest version of GNU nano  and its
> EOL and also what is the EOL of the previous versions
>

> Regards,
> Anindo Burman

Hello Mr. Burman,
I'm not an official maintainer, however nobody has gotten back to you yet
and it has been a while so I shall.
Unlike, for example, windowz[1], FLOSS[2] software can be maintained
indefinitely at any version provided that someone has the time and
talent.
That being said, GNU nano, or just plain nano, is not like the kernel or
webkitgtk, it has no long term maintainer here, rather the debian, or
whatever distro you use, maintainer takes care of requests and bug fixes,
meanwhile the developers and maintainers here submit or fix the various
things that are reported here and down stream (as they call it), though
the actual fixing of the older version is left to the down stream
maintainers, who often times can just apply the fix produced here.
Lastly, to answer your first question, the latest version of nano is
2.8.6.

Sincerely,
David

[1] Sorry to assume that you are a newbie to Linux, but your topic
heading does suggest it...
[2] Dang, I forget the exact expansion of this abbreviation. The OSS at
the end stands for Open Source Software. Basically it means that you can
modify the software and distribute your modifications without the
original authors permission or notification or a payment to him/her.