nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] fixing bug #51040

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] fixing bug #51040
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 14:40:44 +0200

Hello Viorel,

Op 26-09-2017 om 18:15 schreef Benno Schulenberg:
Yes, you're right.  After that "Yes", nano should write the file and exit
immediately.  Please correct the patch to make it do so.

I noticed you attached an updated patch to the bug report.  It's better
to keep things on the mailing list, so more people will see it.  Because
now it looks as if you stopped responding.

Your patch works well for the --tempfile case and using ^X.  But it
will sometimes exit when using ^S with --tempfile.  And when the file
on disk has changed and the user types ^S but does *not* want to
overwrite the changed file, she is stuck in an endless loop.

I have fixed those problems in the version that is coming up in a few
minutes.  It also (again) corrects whitespace issues -- your use of
indentation makes it hard to see what the intended behavior is.

Also, I have decided that when writing fails when --tempfile is used,
nano should not automatically continue to prompt for a different file
name.  The patch already changed to that behavior for the case when
the on-disk file hadn't changed.  But now, for consistency, it also
does not prompt when failing to write an on-disk file that did change.

Please check whether you can find any fault in the upcoming patch.

Benno