nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Re-execute last command

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Re-execute last command
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2017 18:32:35 +0200

Op  6-10-2017 om 17:17 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
There is a common use case that is not well served by nano right now:

A common use case?  It's far from common, otherwise users would have
been clamoring for it.

sometimes you want to execute a command many times when testing code
or when you want different data from a command in many different
points of a file.

For the use cases mentioned, re-execute last command would suffice.

You mean you want a single keystroke that does the equivalent of
^R ^X <Up> <Enter>?  Hmm...  Far too specific a use case.  I can't
imagine there being more than a handful (so to speak) of people who
use nano in that way.

A far more useful feature would be if it were possible to define
a macro in nano: assign a series of keys to a single keystroke.
There is a feature request for that:  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50314

When I used to edit xkeyboard-config files, I would have liked that
feature.  Instead of doing <Down> <End> <Left> <Backspace> <Backspace>,
edit a bit, and then do the same five keystrokes again, I would have
recorded those five keystrokes and then would have just typed ^N every
time (because I would have rebound 'runmacro' to ^N).

If you want to make something that will be useful to many nano users,
Marco, then consider implementing the above feature request.

Benno