nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Overwrite mode

From: Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Overwrite mode
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:27:35 -0300

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Op 10-10-2017 om 16:40 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
>>
>> Most other editors have a feature commonly called overwrite mode.
>> [...]
>>
>> It is very useful to directly replace small parts of text, for
>> creating diagrams or to add modifications without changing the
>> position of the rest of the document.
>>
>> I want this feature and have been investigating how to implement it.
>> It seems very easy to do.
>

> How do you propose to show that Overwrite mode is on?

Change the cursor to a solid block.

>  How do you
> propose to toggle the mode?

Just by pressing insert.

>  Is anyone else interesting in having
> this feature?

I am. When editing tables in latex, for example, it helps a lot that I
can change my text without messing with the position of other fields.

>> Can I go ahead a send a patch that implements it?
>

> Slow down.  I have my hands full.  I don't even get around to
> applying other patches.

Sorry. I'll slow down a bit. There are some small things that I'd like
to contribute but I can wait.