nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Overwrite mode

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Overwrite mode
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 22:50:54 -0600

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:27:35 -0300
Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita <address@hidden> wrote:

> > How do you propose to show that Overwrite mode is on?
>
> Change the cursor to a solid block.

Is that even possible in console? My default cursor is a solid block and most
terminal emulators have an option to configure it.

Maybe nano could get an indicator bar on the left side of titlebar, with the
multibuffer indicator. Put an "O" or "Overwrite" when in overwrite mode. Does
macro recording show anything while recording? If not, it could use the
indicator bar too.

> >  Is anyone else interesting in having this feature?

Text entry widgets in most GUIs support it and most editors probably support
it. I've never used it, but someone out there must be.