nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] about support for more than 16 colors

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] about support for more than 16 colors
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 21:18:12 +0100

Op 06-01-18 om 17:53 schreef Benno Schulenberg:
So... I think that the 256 colors (or rather the 228, when not counting the
the grey-scale stuff) are more than enough to: a) color all discernible
categories differently, and b) to allow tweaking for creating "harmonious"
color schemes, for esthetics.

Playing a bit with color numbers, I now notice that the Linux console
(a VT) knows only 8 colors, and when 'bright' is added they are more
intense (the hue doesn't change much, and there is no boldness).  But
on a terminal emulator (Xfce4-terminal), adding 'bright' changes the
hue of the color significantly AND it makes the character display in
bold.  But this hue change can be done separately from the boldness,
by adding 8 to the base color number.  See attached patch.

All the extra colors (palette indices 16 to 231) can also be bolded,
but their bolding does not change their hue or brightness.  So... I
think we will need a new keyword in the color names: bold.  The word
'bright' should just mean bright, and 'bold' just bold.  For a Linux
console, 'bold' will have no effect.  On a terminal emulator 'bold'
will imply 'bright' for the eight base colors -- not because nano
chooses that but because that is how ncurses works.  For the extra
colors (16 to 231), 'bright' will have no effect and should maybe
not even be allowed.

Benno