nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] about support for more than 16 colors

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] about support for more than 16 colors
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 20:01:19 +0100

Op 06-01-18 om 23:43 schreef Brand Huntsman:
I think palette index should be supported along with #RRGGBB mapping.

At least the index should be supported.  The #RRGGBB is something extra.

And also some color names such as gray0 - gray23 and maybe some names for the 216 colors, but using the gray0-23 style, not 216 unique color names that no one can remember.

Don't know about that.  I've tried with olive, lemon, salmon, and pink,
but just like unbright yellow is far from yellow, many shades of those
colors don't fit the name.

But as I said before, the terminal emulator might not support bold. So the bright keyword on the fg color should imply bright and bold in all cases.

Yes, in order to support any syntaxes that are out there unchanged.

Using a bright or bold attribute would set them independently, but default syntaxes shouldn't do this.

Why not?

Any instances of the bold attribute in default syntaxes should be accompanied
by the bright attribute, to properly map to 16-color consoles/terminals
without bold support.

I would simply make 'bold' imply 'bright'.  Then you can mark a color
either as bright or as bold, but specifying both is redundant.

Benno