nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Encrypted text file for private stuff

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Encrypted text file for private stuff
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 13:44:10 -0500

On 12 Jan 2018 19:09, address@hidden wrote:
> Encrypted text file for private stuff
> =====================================
>
> E.G. in the cloud or just on your hard drive.  I use it for may
> passwords and personal information.
>
> I have given my linux copy of nano (2.2.5) the ability to write
> encrypted files.  Bye specifying "-P" on the command line and
> creating a
> new file, my code can then write a file that is compressed and then
> encrypted.  It forces restricted mode so that unencrypted versions of
> the file do not appear on the hard drive anywhere.
>
> I used AES.c and AES.h from PolarSSL for the encryption.
> It is licensed under GNU General Public License.
>
> I used Zlib for the compression.  Zlib is not licenced under the Gnu
> public licence, but it is free to use and may be downloaded from the
> Gnu
> website.

while nifty, i'm not sure this makes sense for nano to do.  seems like
it's pretty far outside the scope of nano itself.  for example, why just
zlib ?  why not bzip2/lzma/lz4/xz/compress/etc... ?  what about archives
and not just compressed files (e.g. tar/zip/rar/7z/etc...) ?  what about
other encryption algorithms beyond AES ?

seems like nano should be a text editor and filtering of file formats
should be left to other tools.  it's not like nano having read access
makes it more secure ... if someone has root on the system, they can
dump the memory of nano as easily as a file your user owns.
-mike