nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Encrypted text file for private stuff

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Encrypted text file for private stuff
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 20:17:34 +0100

Hello Stephen,

Op 12-01-18 om 09:09 schreef address@hidden:
my code can then write a file that is compressed and then encrypted.  [...]

I used AES.c and AES.h from PolarSSL for the encryption. It is licensed under GNU General Public License.

You mean you include that code into nano?  That for sure is a no-no.

There is a tool that can do encryption pretty well: gpg.  And several
tools that can do compression.  All that needs to be done is pipe these
tools together in a little script so you can decrypt a file into nano
without any intermediate temporary file (already possible by using the
"-" argument to nano), and then encrypt the buffer again back to disk.
For that latter part, nano needs to grow the ability to write a buffer
to standard out.  See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?27346 for the
relevant feature request.

If you are interested I would like to contribute my code to Gnu Nano. Obviously I would have to transfer my additions to the latest version of nano

Well, let's first see what your patch against 2.2.5 looks like, so we
have some idea of magnitude to the changes you made.

[If you are subscribed, please respond to the list only.]

Benno