nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] set the terminal emulator's titlebar

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] set the terminal emulator's titlebar
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 12:34:50 +0100

Op 29-01-18 om 09:35 schreef Mike Frysinger:
On 28 Jan 2018 11:47, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
That knob exists so that nano can make the <Shift+Arrow> and <Ctrl+Arrow> combinations work when running on a Linux console. That this breaks down when running nano remotely, can't be helped. At least, I don't know how.

i don't know what scenario you're describing.  nano isn't an X related
program (and DISPLAY isn't set under Wayland so you've already lost there), so
i don't see why it's trying to check X things.  nano, as a program that runs
inside of a terminal emulator, should be using terminal emulator tools to
handle things. if you can't find relevant details in terminfo/ncurses, then
you can use the poor man's $TERM variable and compare it to "linux".

Thanks.  Will look into those: the terminfo stuff, and otherwise $TERM.

alternatively, if a terminal is known to not report keypresses according to "the standard" (which i'm defining as either classic DEC specs ala vt100.net or things xterm invented), then don't bother supporting them.

I found it too annoying that the Ctrl+Arrow keys did not have the word-jumping
effect on a Linux console.  I *wanted* them to work there too.

but i'm just talking in generalities.  the commit that added this check in the
first place doesn't have a reference to a bug/user report, and is a bit light
on details as to what it's trying to fix. http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nano.git/commit/?h=290d278f684f11448307a2871f42af67f982be46

True, I should have reported it as a bug or feature request first.

Should we drop support for the ninety percent of the cases where nano is run
locally on a console just because the solution is not perfect?

i don't know how you're creating those numbers.  are you saying that 90% of
the time, people are running nano on a Linux VT ?

What I meant was: *when* people run nano on a Linux console, in most cases they
will be running it locally.

Benno