nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: should error messages get colored differently? and

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: should error messages get colored differently? and in red by default?
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 02:17:48 -0600

Brand Huntsman:
> Adding A_BLINK with A_REVERSE or a black background causes the black
> to brighten, ending up with the unreadable "bold,black,red" issue.

That is a problem, then.

Since non-black blinking text on a black background works perfectly well
here, and we're talking about the statusbar... is there a typo in that
statement, so "A_BLINK with A_REVERSE *on* a black background" is what
causes the problem?  Or am I misunderstanding something?

> I don't think nano should default to A_BLINK for anyone. Non-color
> users will still have a working statusbar, but we have no idea how
> their terminal might react to A_BLINK.

Point.

> We could add a blink attribute to the color code: set errorcolor
> "blink,bold,reverse,red,black"
> # blink bold black text on bright red

This sounds good, then.