nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Fwd: Re: how should piping through an external command work

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] Fwd: Re: how should piping through an external command work?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:20:18 +0100

[Resending unencrypted.]

Op 19-02-18 om 02:56 schreef Brand Huntsman:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 13:35:08 +0100 Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> extendsyntax go bind M-T "^R^Xgofmt -w"
>
> That would be nice. But such binds should only exist in nanorc until function
> interpolation is supported.

Function interpolation?  What do you mean?

> They could be added to a syntax as a comment but having them on by default
> could cause issues for anyone with non-standard bindings.

There was no intention to add such bindings to the included syntaxes.
Rebindings are something for the user to make.  That's why I used the
extendsyntax command in the example.

> Good idea! The '|' should _ALWAYS_ be required to pipe selection or entire
> buffer(if no selection) to the command. It would even stay with the command
> in history and is easier to specify in a bind.

Being able to specify it in a bind is almost enough to convince me...

> The terrible selection saving in writeout (who voted to do that?)

It was added in May 2001, commit cc197ef0, without giving any reason why
it was added.  It doesn't come from Pico.  Unfortunately the mailing list
archives don't go back further than January 2002.  The list was on
Sourceforge before that, but the archives seem to have been deleted
there: https://sourceforge.net/p/nano/mailman/

However, the Wayback Machine still has something.  It seems the idea was
from Bill Soudan, and nobody voted for it -- Chris simply implemented it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010716174011/http://www.geocrawler.com:80/archives/3/3917/2001/5/0/5825596/
https://web.archive.org/web/20010716175052/http://www.geocrawler.com:80/archives/3/3917/2001/5/0/5843180/

It was in response to a request from Arnim Littek:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010716180437/http://www.geocrawler.com:80/archives/3/3917/2001/5/0/5821308/

Benno