nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Future of incremental search

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Future of incremental search
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 14:29:55 -0700

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 09:07:20 -0300
Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Do a regex search for "+", it says not found but doesn't beep or
> > indicate the regex is invalid. Change the "[NOT FOUND]" to "[BAD
> > REGEX]".
>
> Done on the attached patch.

How hard would it be to put NOT FOUND or BAD REGEX message on far right, like
how Modified is in titlebar? It would keep the query from from shifting right
and left as your type a regex. And when errorcolor is supported, only color the
BAD REGEX with errorcolor, to avoid the prompt flashing while typing a regex.
When query isn't found the entire prompt or just the NOT FOUND could be
highlighted with errorcolor, but maybe just the NOT FOUND.

> > I can open the inc-search prompt and press enter to search for
> > previous match but that match no longer shows up in the prompt.
>
> This was a bad behaviour non intentionally implemented on the latest
> iteration. When <Enter> is pressed on an empty prompt, no search
> should be done. The old behaviour has been restored on the attached
> patch.

Why not make it behave like normal search?

> > The delay you implemented is terrible, it makes search more laggy
> > than before. I paste a 90 character line and it takes 2 seconds
>
> Fixed on the attached patch.

Works fast.

But pasting a line with a linefeed no longer works.