nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of the entire buffer
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 11:17:19 +0100

Op 21-02-18 om 00:33 schreef Brand Huntsman:
> I propose ^O only saves the selection if a toggle is used, something like
> ^O^S. Anyone wanting to save a selection must type out the filename and an
> extra ^S won't interrupt their workflow much, especially for a feature that
> is probably rarely used.

Many years ago, I used to do that regularly when wanting to copy a
fragment to another file.  (I never learned to use ^R M-F -- in my
mind ^R was reserved for inserting another file.)  But nowadays nano
has position history, so I just exit, add the wanted file on the
command line, and then cut or copy in one buffer and paste it in the
next.

> I also propose changing the prompt to reflect what is being saved.

It already reflects that, but in a not very eye-catching way.
But when you have to toggle to write a selection, the need to have
contrasting prompts is diminished.

Benno