nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [no bug] do_scroll_down

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [no bug] do_scroll_down
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 21:51:15 -0600

Brand Huntsman:
> Wouldn't it be better to have do_scroll_up/down move the cursor if the
> content can't be scrolled any further?

The entire point of scrolling up and down is to keep the cursor in the
same place, while moving the text if it can.  Conversely, the entire
point of moving up and down is to move the cursor, while keeping the
text in the same place if it can.  Having scrolling move the cursor as
you suggest breaks this.

> There is no valid reason to scroll content out of the window that
> doesn't also apply to do_scroll_up.

There's another reason for the difference in behavior between
do_scroll_up() and do_scroll_down().  Scrolling up when the top of the
file is visible while keeping the cursor in place would mean that the
top line of the file would be displayed *below* the top line of the
screen.  Seeing as it was tricky enough to make the top line of the file
scrollable for softwrap purposes, this would make things even more
complicated.

In short, I don't see a problem here, unless you want to blur the line
between moving and scrolling, which would cause more problems than it
solves.