nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 14:04:43 +0100

Op 11-03-18 om 09:17 schreef Brand Huntsman:
> Would anyone be interested in arrows to indicate which direction the buffer
> can be scrolled? It would help when looking at a buffer that has been scrolled
> off the top of the screen.

At first I thought: Nah...

> The attached hack displays two arrows on the far right side of statusbar. The
> code in winio.c:scrollbar() can easily be modified to place them on left or
> right side of titlebar or statusbar.

Oh, wow.  On the right side of the title bar they look nice.  I don't like
to see them on the status bar: they ask too much attention, because my eye
is always ready to catch something that happens on the status bar.  But the
top right of the window... I almost never look there: it's either blank, or
it says that the buffer has changed, which I would already know.

This provides something similar to the "Top", "Bottom", "All", and a percentage
that Vim and Emacs show in their status bar, but more limited.  Maybe nano
should
implement a similar indicator instead of this limited version?

Somewhat related: when the cursor cannot go further up or down, Vim and Emacs
give feedback: Vim just a beep, Emacs beeps and shows a message on the bottom
bar.  Nano makes no sound and shows nothing.  Probably because Pico does
neither.
But maybe it should?  Because, strangely, in its help text, Pico does beep when
^Y and ^V cannot go any further, and in its file browser it beeps when <Left>
and <Right> and <Down> cannot go further (but weirdly, not for <Up>).

So... should nano become more friendly and give feedback when the cursor cannot
move any further in the desired direction?

Benno