nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 19:48:06 +0100

Op 13-03-18 om 03:22 schreef Brand Huntsman:
> One slight issue I just discovered with arrows is that rxvt-unicode's RSS
> jumps by 15meg per instance, but available memory only decreases by 5meg per
> instance, so 10meg is shared. Base RSS is 7meg, so it doubles the size of each
> instance, which adds up when one has 60 instances.

You're saying that urxvt normally takes up 7 MB, and as soon as those
Unicode arrows are displayed it takes up 15 MB?  Weird.  Xfce terminal
here uses something like 37 MB at startup, and each new instance or new
tab costs somewhere between 0 and 200 KB.  (Closing tabs or instances
doesn't free any memory, it seems.)

> A large document can have several pages between 0%-1% and 99%-100%, so we
> either show 99.9 or round to 100.

Not 100.  Instead of 100%, ▲ should be shown.  Rounding shouldn't
happen -- percentages are "clipped": always rounded down.

> Should the % character be displayed?

Yes.  Because a bare number is too unclear: line number? kilobytes?
And to mimic the two bigger brothers.

> Well, beeping to get your attention for an error is quite different than
> beeping when pressing arrows keys.

There may be a difference, but Vim and Emacs and Gedit beep the
same for all cases.

> If the scrolling beeps annoy someone they would be forced to turn off all
> beeps, that is wrong. It would be better to split beeps into two categories,
> like STATUS_BAR and ERROR_MESSAGE. Then have an option to disable the
> unimportant beeps.

*If* there will be a "silent" option, it will silence everything.

Benno