nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 19:53:15 -0600

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 09:44:00 -0500
David Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1. I usually have constupdate on, and the scroll arrow number is
> calculated using a different formula from the one used by constupdate
> in winio.c:do_cursorpos().  This means the two file total percentages don't
> always match exactly.  It would be ideal if they did.

The constant show feature displays percentage at cursor. The scrollbar displays
percentage of the line at the top of current page. It also subtracts screen
height from total lines, so 100% is when last line can be seen. The new patch
floors instead of rounding so the values will be a little closer, but still not
exact. I don't think it should use the same formula as cursor position, they
don't represent the same thing.

The UTF8 arrows have been encoded as hex sequences to avoid any encoding issues
with the patch (and anyone viewing without UTF8 support). A '%' character has
been added. Percentage is now floored so 100 will never show. Before, the up
arrow would only appear if the last blank line in the buffer was visible,
flooring results in the up arrow appearing as soon as the line above last blank
line is visible (you can scroll up or down, but it only shows up), this
shouldn't matter.

Should there be additional space to the left or right of scrollbar?

Long filenames cause the version to be hidden, which also causes the
multi-buffer indicator to be hidden. Was it decided to hide it or just
overlooked? I think it should be visible. If at least 32-ish characters of the
filename can be displayed, the buffer indicator and scrollbar should be
visible. If not, hide scrollbar, and then hide buffer indicator if filename
still can't be about 32. But an 80 column terminal should always have buffer
indicator and scrollbar visible. Thoughts?