nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [Help-nano] Simple suggestion

From: Rafael David
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [Help-nano] Simple suggestion
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 20:47:55 -0300

Hi Benno,

Yes, I think it would be good to have it on man page. Also I think it could be among the first options in the help screen (^G).

Thanks a lot!

Rafael

Em 13 de mar de 2018 16:01, "Benno Schulenberg" <address@hidden> escreveu:

Hello Rafael,

Op 13-03-18 om 14:24 schreef Rafael David:
> I'm a nano user and would like to give a suggestion. Actually, I don't know
> if this e-mail is the right place for suggestions. If not, please tell me what
> is the right one.

I've CC'ed the development list.

> My suggestion is a simple thing. I was used to save the file I'm working on
> using ^O cause I didn't know we can use ^S. I think you guys could include ^S
> in the help at the bottom of the screen so that a new user can learn and use
> ^S since the first time using nano.

Not a bad idea.  But the thing is, when the user uses --preserve, ^S
will do something else, so we would have to display the ^S conditionally.

Also, as you will have noticed, the shortcuts in the help lines are listed
pairwise: two keys that are strongly or weakly related.  To keep that pairing,
^S would have to replace ^O.  But... ^O is more versatile than ^S, so it's
better to display that one instead of ^S.

Would it help to mention ^S in the manual page (man nano)?

> Thank you guys very much for this amazing tool!
>
> Rafael David

Benno