nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Improve nano's completion feature to use external

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Improve nano's completion feature to use external sources of completion
Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 17:37:52 -0600

On Sun, 20 May 2018 19:01:25 -0300
Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita <address@hidden> wrote:

> Also, remeber that my tags are generated by:
>
>  ctags -x src/*.[ch]|awk '{print $4":"$3": "$1}'> tags

Is there a reason you can't use the same ctags file format as every other
editor? I might want to add a ctags rule to my project's makefile. Your
approach forces me to add two rules: ctags and nano-ctags.

>  extendsyntax c completer grep $shard tags

Does it look in pwd for the tags file? I'd have to start nano from the
directory containing the tags file. Put the tags file in nano/ and it fails if
I'm in nano/src/. Put it in nano/src/ and it fails if I'm in nano/ and open
src/nano.c. And what if the project has multiple source directories inside src/?

Scanning up the directory tree (from the file's directory) for a tags file
always works. And loading a tags file for a syntax using an absolute path also
always works. The one benefit of your approach is that the tags file can be
regenerated and nano would pick up the changes on the next completion. But nano
could either watch the tags files it has loaded for changes and reload them, or
stat the files every time completion is used.