nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Linting

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Linting
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2018 12:46:56 +0200

Op 05-08-18 om 03:26 schreef address@hidden:
> When I check a file with linter, and nano finds and error/warning,
> nano "freezes up" and doesn't let me fix it until I press ^C.

Most likely you run nano with --nohelp or 'set nohelp', so you don't
see that, when you invoke the linter, and it finds errors, you land
in a special "linting menu", where ^Y/^V (PgUp/PgDn) have a special
meaning.

Maybe we should force the help lines on when in the linting menu?
Just like they are forced on when in the help viewer.  Because the
linting thing looks deceptively like the normal editing window --
the file browser and the help viewer look quite different: the user
will readily understand they will need to press some exit or cancel
key to get out of them.  But for the linter... make this clearer?
And thus show the changed meaning of ^Y/^V too?

> Regarding default linters:
> Could we add a linter "gcc -fsyntax-only" to c.nanorc?
> Also, could we add linter "luacheck --no-color" to lua.nanorc?

Send patches?

Benno