nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] New Feature: completion from external dictionary

From: Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] New Feature: completion from external dictionary
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 21:16:15 -0300

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 2:45 PM, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Op 12-07-18 om 19:06 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
>> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:52 AM, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> But... this means that when a syntax specifies a dictionary, then nano
>>> will only find possible completions in that dictionary and no longer
>>> in the current file?
>>>
>> Yes.
>
> Comes back my original complaint: if the dictionary is a real dictionary,
> with a nearly complete set of valid words in a specific language, I find
> using the completion keystroke is useless: it gives tens of words that I
> don't want before finally coming up with the one that I intend.  What do
> you propose that people would use to have a more useful dictionary?>

I have no definite solution to this problem. Some possibilities that
may give better completions:
 - a shortcut to cycleback previous completions,
 - a shortcut to complete only based on current buffer,
 - put completions from current buffer first in the list.

Also, this would not be a frequent problem with ctags: the dictionary
would be probably not so big.

Attached is an updated version of the patch. Would you mind to review it?