Re: [Nel] NeL Network Engine

From: Vincent Archer
Subject: Re: [Nel] NeL Network Engine
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:52:21 +0100

According to Leighton Haynes:
> I'm not sure if this is a really important issue right now. As many
> people have noted, premature optimization is the source of all evil.

It is somewhat important. There are optimisations that can be done further,
but there are also fundamental design issues that reflect how everything
else in the server code has to be written.

You do not program an event-driven system like you would on a thread-based
system. Converting from one model to another would be horribly painful,
which is why the "right" one has to be selected. Once we pick one, we'll
have to stick by it, and the more code is produced under a model, the
harder it becomes to switch.

Which is why the decision about this was deferred until it can no longer
be truly avoided.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: address@hidden

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!