Re: [Nel] snowballs 2

From: Cedric Valignat
Subject: Re: [Nel] snowballs 2
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:06:38 +0200

Hello Michael ... hello everyone,

Michael Warnock wrote:

> I'm really eager to get my hands on this code and try out all the new
> features I've watched you add to the library.  Is there a new tentative
> release date for the client?

Snowball 2 has been up and running for a month on our PCs here,
but due to deadline pressure on internal projects we haven't got
round to ironing out a couple of basic problems that make the
version unreleasable.

Firstly, the client app runs fine under Windows, but under X we
get the NeL logo in full screen with a slightly coy looking Gnu
trying desperately to hide behind it (you catch a glimpses of him
as the logo rotates).  There's also no sign of the landscape.  This
has to be something daft in the 3D engine, but the 3D team's been
snowed under and hasn't had a chance to look at it yet.

Secondly, the network code in the Snowballs server services
missbehvaes when we compile with optimisations turned on and
debugging options turned off (we only compile the server services
under Linux). The problem's hardly subtle, the client simply doesn't
receive any messages from the front end. This can't be difficult
to find as it's 100% repeatable but the fact that the problem goes
away when one compiles in 'debug' mode is a pain.  The Network team
have been as busy as the 3D team for the last month or so and just
haven't got round to sorting it out yet.

The team should surface in a couple of weeks time and we'll put out a
release then.

Regards to all,

Cedric.