Re: [Nel] Issue to run snowballs2

From: David Mentre
Subject: Re: [Nel] Issue to run snowballs2
Date: 09 Jan 2002 23:28:29 +0100

"Lionel Berenguier" <address@hidden> writes:

> Also, can anybody explains me why under linux/unix we don't have to
> dynamically import functions (ie with such call like wglGetProcAdress(), or
> window's GetProcAdress()) ??? In other terms, What system underlie the
> dynamic library loader (I suppose there is system which fill a table of jump
> or something like this but I don't really knows).

Ok. Looking at nm(1):
       For each symbol, nm shows:
[...]
           "U" The symbol is undefined.
[...]
           "W" The symbol is a weak  symbol  that  has  not  been
               specifically tagged as a weak object symbol.  When
               a weak defined symbol  is  linked  with  a  normal
               defined  symbol, the normal defined symbol is used
               with no error.  When a weak  undefined  symbol  is
               linked and the symbol is not defined, the value of
               the weak symbol becomes zero with no error.

[...]

So I think we would like those "weak objects" for all GL extensions.

Looking at the generated library, we find:
address@hidden:~/pub/NeL/code/nel/src/3d/driver/opengl/.libs$ nm
libnel_drv_opengl.so|grep Fence
0001a58c T finishFence__Q24NL3D19CVertexBufferHardGL
         U glDeleteFencesNV
         U glFinishFenceNV
         U glGenFencesNV
         U glSetFenceNV
000213e0 W isFenceSet__CQ24NL3D19CVertexBufferHardGL
0001a554 T setFence__Q24NL3D19CVertexBufferHardGL

So glSetFenceNV is an undefined symbol that will trigger the dlopen
error.

I've not found a way to change that however. :(

Hope it helps a little,
Best regards,
d.
--