Re: [Nel] 3DSMax 4.2 + STLport 4.5 support

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Nel] 3DSMax 4.2 + STLport 4.5 support
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 14:13:29 +0200

Vianney Lecroart wrote:

  http://zerodeux.net/misc/nel/object_viewer_dll_name.patch
    Seems that the DLL naming convention applied was half applied here

We can't apply it because if we do that now, some automatic proccess that
copy the dll will not wor anwmore.

OK, so let's keep the exception to the rule :).

BTW, I try to avoid those copies in the VC7 build. Copying DLL implies a tracking/versioning nightmare IMHO, so here I maintain a single repository (lib7) with the latest build, which can be shared across the network for other developers/graphists for instance. When I want to make a release, I simply copy this folder and append a version blurb to its name. Users play with their PATH and max/plugin.ini, this being hopefully efficient with NT/2k/XP. There are more details in this little doc :

  http://zerodeux.net/misc/nel/compilation_notes_vc7.txt

I know this is not compatible with your current production line, but I
had also to find a way to remove the 'C:\3dsmax3_1' hardcoded paths and more generally to make NeL CVS independent from any environment (OS, tools, versions, etc).

Feedback (non-Nevrax people too!) warmly welcome.