Fw: [Nel] Will Saga of Ryzoom ver go completley opensource or?

From: Mark
Subject: Fw: [Nel] Will Saga of Ryzoom ver go completley opensource or?
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:12:11 -0600

Probably best to have a combo of the two. GNU software is defiantly helping the software community to get code out faster and more stable as well as accessing it. I'll just charge for the data. I am currently using RealmForge GDK for my MMORPG.
http://www.xeonxstudios.com/
http://axiomengine.sourceforge.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=761&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

-Mark
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rodrigo Hernandez"

Hello Mark,

I really don't know, I am just playing with NeL as well, but I will tell you how I think it goes.

Nevrax developed NeL and Ryzom, they hold the copyright for both and as such they have the right to keep Ryzom closed source even thought it uses NeL, which is GPL, they may even sell closed source licenses for NeL if they so want to (ID does that with the Quake engines).

Everyone else using the source must release the new code (if they are going to distribute a binary), so the way to make some money from it would be to copyright your data (artwork, literary work) and once you have a working game charge for the use of said data, not the game itself, so if you don't mind others looking at your code, you can make a commercial game with NeL, the only issue I can see is that having the code available to the public will definitely make lives easier for cheaters.