Re: [Nmh-workers] Maildir support for inc

From: Harald Koch
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Maildir support for inc
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 12:00:27 -0400

> So, here's a refined patch based on a week or so of use. It seems
> that the right thing to do is to inc all the mail in the cur and
> new directories of a Maildir, so the patch does that.

Just to pe pedantic: techincally, the correct thing is to:

1) move mail from new to cur. There's a minor filename change involved here;
see http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html for details.

2) process all of the files in cur.

This is what all of the clients I've experimented with do (mutt, various pop
and imap servers). Doing the operations in this order helps keep the new
directory empty even in the face of processing errors, crashes, etc. (see
"crash-only
software":http://www.stanford.edu/~candea/papers/crashonly/crashonly.html)
for that argument :-).

Oh, and thanks for working on this!